View Single Post
Old October 15th, 2016, 08:20 AM   #16
Bk834
ninjette.org member

Name: Brandon

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja 250 Cafe Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgold View Post
You may want to consider getting a four cell Lithium-Iron battery. They're tiny and much easier to hide. Plus they weigh about a pound. I use one for my racebike.

This one has plenty of cranking power for the little Ninjette:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antigravity-...FSsqA9&vxp=mtr
Nice, I didn't know they made li-ion batteries that large. Will definately consider one, as that will make it easier to hide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
I want to mention the regulator/rectifier here for two reasons.

First, it's really old technology. This exact part number was used on bikes going back to at least '82. Fancy new battery chemistries may not be happy with the output from our clunky old R/R. Do a little research before you drop a ton of cash on crazy new tech to make sure you're not just burning up your money.

Second, heat is an issue. The R/R shunts away any extra power (the difference between how much the stator is making and how much your electronics are using) by converting it to heat. When it gets hotter, it gets less efficient, which makes it get even hotter, etc. If you've tucked it away from airflow, you could be heading toward electrical issues. They can fail either high or low - one way just won't charge your battery, the other can overcharge and ruin it.

The MOSFET R/R's (model FH### vs. SH###) are more efficient (so they make less heat in the first place) and less affected by heat (so they don't lose as much when they do warm up). They're electrically compatible, so a retrofit is just adapting the connectors and mounting it. They're more durable and stable, but their output still may not match what a non-standard battery likes, so you should still do your research.
I'm thinking that's the finned aluminum box? If so, I can move it back to airflow and still keep it hidden. I'd imagine the area I have it in now holds heat pretty well. Excellent info though, that should be a nice Sunday upgrade for me one of these days.