View Single Post
Old March 17th, 2018, 05:37 AM   #10
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Nice choice, assuming you're mechanically inclined and have the time, space and tools to work on it. That bike is going to need a fair bit of TLC if it's to become a reliable runner.

A principle I now live by after decades of experience: Every project takes twice as long and costs three times as much as you think it will.

The challenge you might run into in keeping a 22-year-old bike on the road is parts availability. You might want to think that through and look into it, at least for stuff that will wear in normal use.

Given its age and the fact that it's been sitting neglected for years, assume right away that anything made of rubber will need to be replaced. Brake lines, caliper seals, fork seals, carb diaphragms, vacuum, vent and coolant hoses, miscellaneous gaskets and O-rings (e.g. tank, petcock), tires, plug wires/boots, maybe bearing seals.... you get the picture. It's not rocket surgery but that bike is so old that you can't take anything for granted. So... can you find all those parts?

That bike is a lot like the CBR600F4i I mentioned in terms of ergos. Be aware that it's a LOT heavier than your Ninjette.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote