View Single Post
Old March 20th, 2018, 09:08 PM   #34
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

Thank you for the kinds words and keen insight!

I really doubt that I had both of the shocks set to full hard dampening, but that would explain the absolute stiffness.

As stated, the 05 GSXR 750 shock seems to have lost pressure and oil so it's compromised and no longer good for use until a rebuild takes place.

Spent a half hour on the phone with jake at racetech today.. great guy and very helpful. I think the 09 GSXR 750 shock is my best option -- I'll swap it back onto the bike when I have a minute and play with the dampening settings. Again -- I seriously doubt that I had it locked out at full stiffness but I need to rule that out before I can continue with this.

Sounds like a lighter spring is my best option. Along with a shock rebuild/installing-bumpstop, and maybe messing with the shim stack or gold valve doohickey to wrangle the dampening closer to where it should be for such a light bike.

Thanks again, I'll post back once I get that 09 GSXR 750 shock back in there. Race tech may have been mistaken, but he told me that there are substantially lighter spring rates available for that shock. My understanding is primitive, but as far as I know ---- I should have roughly 30% sag. Certainly didn't see that with either GSXR 750 shock. 5% sag at the most, with zero preload on the spring.