View Single Post
Old May 8th, 2016, 06:06 PM   #39
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Just for easy reference...
PreGen Clutch Diagram
NewGen Clutch Diagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohawk View Post
I didn't check the clutch pressure plate bearing thickness, they look the same but maybe the older one was thicker if anyone else does this it would be worth checking. If they are the same then rather than using a washer, you could find a thicker bearing with the same ID/OD to take up the space.
They are different part numbers. 92045-1408 for the PreGen and 92045-0067 for the NewGen. They could very well be slightly different sizes. The pressure plate is a slightly different number too, 13187-1057 vs. 13187-0015, and the rod itself is 46102-1030 vs. 46102-0114. Between all of those, you might be able to get the right spacing without adding a washer. This would probably be easiest to figure out for someone with both a PreGen and NewGen to experiment on.

Knowing absolutely nothing about the 250 clutch, and almost nothing about the 500 clutch, has anyone investigated the idea of swapping that in? I know the 4-bolt clutch has been mentioned as an issue on some of the modded bikes with more power. The 500 and 250 share some parts, but are completely different on others, so I'm not sure how well the clutches would mate up.

I assume that I'm not the first person to think of this, and I'd guess there's a size difference, but I thought I'd toss it out there just in case. The 500 clutch comes from an even bigger bike, and its biggest weakness seems to be soft OEM springs for an easy lever pull. If it's an easy-ish swap, it could be another option for the guys doing crazier builds.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote