View Single Post
Old October 3rd, 2018, 10:47 PM   #62
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzerd View Post
Newbie but longtime Ninjette rider here. Hey Everyone!

I will hit 69000 mile this week on my 2000 EX250R. Bought it with only 600 on it and has been my regular commuter for over 11 years. Original engine with oil changes every 5000 miles (Shell Rotella). It has been very reliable but not without hiccups - ignition module, 4 sprocket/chains replacements, chain tensioner, speedo cable, throttle/clutch cables and one exhaust valve that is getting tight (not sure what to do about this since the adjustment is now maxed out). I am not sure how many more miles but I am going to keep going...
Cheers!

Buzzerd
Your mention of having an exhaust valve that is maxed out on adjustment reminded me of something I've wondered about.

While doing valve adjustments on my '05 EX250 I've looked at the rocker arm assembly and thought about what I might be able to do if one of my valves ever reached the limits of its adjustment. I haven't gotten to this point yet but I've wondered if you could re-grind the "ball end" of the adjustment screw on the rocker arm to take a little off the top of it, preserving the rounded profile while grinding it, then re-polish the new lower profile to original smoothness.

When you reinstalled it in the head there would be more clearance adjustment available. Sure would beat removing the entire head to replace the valve.

Another thought would be to wonder if you could take a bit of material off the underside of the rocker arm itself, so the adjustment screw could move further upward.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote