View Single Post
Old December 17th, 2013, 08:44 PM   #28
jeffb502
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White Ninja 300, 2010 Red Ninja 250r (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
If your throttle has to much slop then tighten it up end of story, don't complain about it Throttle slop is one of my biggest complaint when I hop on other peoples bikes.

The slipper clutch is perfect for noob downshifts like your doing but like you implied you really should learn how to do it right. When you hold the clutch in for that long you rpms drop all the way down to 2K so when to release it it tries to catch back up to the wheel which is still going at 7K rpms. This causes a higher then normal rear tire dynamic braking effect until the motor rmp and wheel rpm match. If your smooth with the clutch like me you can use that extra drag to do some cool stuff but if not then when you drop it to fast it will act like a quick jab to your rear brake and I'm sure you know that's bad mid corner when you don't expect it. The slipper clutch will absorb any errors in your clutch release smoothness and kinds simulate what I do automatically but you don't want to rely on it. Practice on the 250 that way the slipper clutch on the 300 doesn't screw with your technique.

Relying on a slipper clutch to absorb bad riding technique is like saying I have traction control so I'm not going to practice throttle control and just whip that throttle wide open off every corner because it'll correct any errors. Ask @Alex about his awesome TC on his old BMW, given it would have turned out that way anyways but had the situation been slightly different and on a bike 500lbs lighter a good riders reaction time could have saved it. Rider and driver aids make you lazy and when Marc Marcez runs into the back of your bike accidentally cutting you TC wire, well then you better well remember how to control that throttle or else your in for quite the flight.
I was going to learn how to tighten up the throttle cable, but then I sold the bike instead ...

I'm still trying to match revs with the 2013, the slipper clutch is just there to maybe help if I screw up, but like you said it's important to always do it the right way so we don't develop bad muscle memory, which humans usually automatically revert to in an emergency situation. Even when I was holding the clutch in forever like in the video I would try to throttle up to what I felt was close to an appropriate RPM before letting the clutch back out, since I have already slid the back tire once by failing to do so and I'd prefer to not have tires sliding at this point in my riding experience...
jeffb502 is offline   Reply With Quote