View Single Post
Old January 11th, 2018, 06:07 AM   #9
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
BTW, that 5th gear roll-on thing from TOTW II... very few corners I've encountered actually require such a thing, at least at the speeds I ride. If I'm cornering in 5th it's because the corner is really just a kink in a long straight. But I get that it's more for illustrative purposes, to highlight the relatively gentle nature of the acceleration that's called for.

One thing I have found is that taking some corners in a higher gear than seems right is a lot smoother. T1 at Palmer, for example. The cone chicane is right after it, so you'd think it's a second-gear corner. But if I take it in 3rd and use momentum to carry me through the cones, the bike is far more settled... the acceleration as I roll on is smoother. Net result: More confidence in getting it on.

BTW that vid I referred to above is Paul Duval at the same track. Count the gear changes... he's going through Turn 1 in 4th, downshifting to 3rd for the Turn 4/5 esses and staying in 3rd for the rest of the lap until the front straight. I confirmed this by asking him on FB. This parallels the strategy I've been using, but I'm one gear lower (and probably 30 seconds a lap slower!).

Link to original page on YouTube.

What I'm taking away from this video is that there really is a hell of a lot of grip to be had, if I can just get my reptilian brain to accept that fact.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote