Old January 11th, 2018, 08:54 AM   #15
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
TL;DR summary:

Let's discuss how being more assertive with the throttle affects the bike... benefits/hazards and getting past the fear of highsides.
-----------------------------

One of my 2018 resolutions is to revisit my track education in light of what I've learned over the last year. That includes re-reading TOTW II and thinking a lot about how it maps to my experience. This exercise has got me thinking about having greater faith in grip levels and what I can do to get more comfortable out there.

One of my biggest challenges is timidity. More than anything else I fear losing the rear, highsiding and sailing off into the wild blue like Superman.

In practice it means my roll-on is slower and weaker than it should be. It's a very real mental block, related to the "finding the edge" discussions we've had here.

I don't have a specific question in mind, but I'd like to spark a discussion about this. I'm thinking that there's a lot more of a traction margin than I believe there to be, especially in the rear tire.

I say this because my rear -- a Pirelli SC2 slick -- is still in fine shape even after a WHOLE SEASON at modest intermediate pace (~7-8 track days in the middle of the TTD yellow group; groups are black-blue-yellow-red, fast to slow). That has to be evidence of something...most likely that I'm babying the throttle too much (right?).

So if I can move past my fear of corner grip shortcomings and get it on more assertively, what can I expect?

Speculation:

- More feeling of stability and a more settled chassis because the bike "likes" to be accelerating through the turn (throttle rule 1). Thinking that the bike will feel more planted, not less, because more load is going into the rear, where most of the rubber is. Fear of spinning the rear up and losing it is keeping me from feeling this, I think....

- Smoother flow because the bike is carrying more speed through the corner; less need to climb up out of a bucket. (I recently saw a video of a TTD instructor lapping Palmer in the 1:42 range, which is darned quick -- it's in the NE Trackday thread. The bike stays up on song most of the lap, which gives an overall impression of greater smoothness.)

Discuss. Thanks!

@Misti @csmith12 @Ducati999
I think that was Kenny Roberts early secret to success. He applied his dirt track experience to road racing - heavy throttle on a corner exit.

Bill