View Single Post
Old February 13th, 2018, 01:06 PM   #29
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
I'm definitely looking for the exit before I hit the apex, but probably not early enough. My track day org sets up exit cones, so those are the RPs I use to start with.

I think I've been 50-pencing because I haven't been sure I could get the bike where I want it to be. Turn, assess, question, correct, assess, question, correct, rinse and repeat.... Every time I question I'm hesitating to roll it on.

After that coaching day I started thinking more about focusing and really trying to get to that apex cone with my first input. That helped. Think less, stop over-analyzing everything, calm the sensory input.

One corner I have in mind is Turn 9 at Palmer... this is the track in the video I posted earlier in this thread (the rider in that video is very fast). The turn in question appears at 1:27, 3:05 etc.....

It's a long, descending carousel with heavy camber. The apex is very late, as are a number of the big turns at that track (7, 9, 12). You can't see it until you're already in the turn, and you can't see the exit cone until you're about halfway around. I know intellectually that I can get on the throttle really early in this turn (because of the camber) but I can't help but wait... and I tend to over-turn the bike instead of letting it run to the outside. I lose a lot of time there.

Here's video of me at the same track, including a face-cam angle. You can't see my eyes, but my head isn't waving around looking at a bunch of different stuff. You can also hear how much maintenance throttle I'm using and how slow my roll-ons are.

Link to original page on YouTube.

How many RP's do you have in that corner?
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote