View Single Post
Old May 1st, 2017, 07:28 AM   #167
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by frud View Post
My problem isn't speed, it's that my bike doesn't feel stable above about 60 mph. It feels like the back tire shakes a bit but I'm not sure if that's what it is. This is the first and only bike I've ever ridden so I don't know if it's normal or not. Has anyone else experienced this?
A Chris noted - check your tires. Pressure, alignment of the rear wheel, and balance (requires removal and balancer).

Check the date on the tires also. It could be time to replace them. Cycle tire last about 5 years, and degrade significantly after that. The date is on the sidewall of the tire - 4 digits in an oval like "2509". The first 2 are the week (25th week), the second are the last 2 digits of the year (2009). Also look for cracking inside the grooves and any "scalloping" of the tread. So if those are original tires from '08 (maybe produced in '07) it's time for new ones - doesn't matter how many miles are on them or how much tread is left. You are dealing with aging of the rubber only.

Also confirm your chain is in good condition, lubed, and adjusted properly.

There's a bunch of good How-To videos here - http://www.canyonchasers.net/video/
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote