View Single Post
Old August 4th, 2021, 11:16 AM   #26
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

and then use your chain breaker to push out the pin right ?
and more than likely you'll bend the pin....
I've even used tempered nail sets that are the same size or slightly smaller to push out the pin in the link with varying success, some times they come out fairly easy most of the time their really hard to move, a short socket behind the pin ( so the pin has some place to go) and a heavy backer bar behind that and a fairly large hammer and drive the pin out... then you can get the chain off
if the chain is to be replaced with a new one it is probably easier to just cut a link in half with a thin cutting wheel and angle grinder...as it's faster and easier and can be done with 1 person
putting a chain like that back on a motorcycle is silly use a master link and you won't have any problems just make sure that the clip is on with the open in facing the back of the bike when the chain is on top of the sprocket.... and make sure the clip is closed and on properly
if you grind the pin of a link off so you can push the pin out you destroy the chain.... you can't use it again unless you remove that link and use a master link so some people will try to push the pin out without grinding the pin flush
that can be accomplished but it is not easy by any means.
a flat punch short socket and heavy backer bar are your only hope
smack it hard and get the pin to move to the flush position then use a hard nail set ( most nail sets are not hard and will mushroom) and drive the pin out.... when putting on the chain turn it around so the pin in the back link is sticking out where you can get to it...drive the pin back in till it hits the back link and put a pare of hefty vice-grips on that link and squeeze it together and try your best to drive the pin through the back link ....some times it works and some times it doesn't and you bend the back link....
but again it is easier to just remove that opened link and put a master link back in it instead. but ...it can be done... I've done it back at the Ranch.
....didn't have to buy anything I couldn't afford and I got the bike working again...so all was good.... i wouldn't do that now though I'ed just buy a new chain... with a Master link ! LOL
Bob......

Ps. Nails Don't work they bend ...but concrete nails Might if you can find one
their much harder... but you do the best you can, with what you got, under the circumstances ! no one can ask more !