View Single Post
Old December 14th, 2008, 06:45 PM   #2
VeX
That's me!

Name: TJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r (Tis blue), 2008 CBR600RR

You're a bamf I'm totally digging on your ZZR more and more! Be sure to take muchos pictures! I was going to post how I did MY fiberglass FE, but I think it'd stir up too much, "Where did you get that", "How did you do that?","What is the mixture ratio of the resin?","How did you..." Anywho here's my 2 cents on it:

One thing I could suggest is making a foam mold to form the spandex mold over:

You can buy packs of these foam bricks and they're easy to shape in weird ways.

The foam is really easy to work with. I used a hot glue gun to attach a little bit more to the bottom.

Like a dunce I neglected to cover the foam with anything (like aluminum foil). This entailed me having to later scrape the foam from the back of the fiberglass

Stretch some cheapy spandex over the whole thing. I planned a hole in the back for access so everything came together there.

Brush the whole thing bit by bit with resin. It'll look horrid, but later on with much sanding and body filler it'll smooth everything out...

Once you remove the foam from the cured spandex I put piece of aluminum sheeting to reinforce such things as the turn signal holes, license plate mount, and the attaching holes up top.

Then simply cut strips of fiberglass CLOTH and cover the backside of the spandex! Go buck wild in there with the fiberglass. It's light weight so if there is overlapping it's not going to kill on weight or anything. When all's said and done THEN you can tackle the sanding of the outside and adding bondo to level things out.

I should probably get better pictures of it as I've since sanded it a little more and re-sprayed it with paint instead of primer ... In retrospect I would've liked the back to have slopped up more to meet up with the tail, but oh well
VeX is offline   Reply With Quote