View Single Post
Old July 7th, 2016, 11:47 AM   #13
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Unless you're dealing with a maintenance issue or have run into some of the bike's limits that are holding you back, I'm wondering what would really be worth it on the items you mention. If the transmission isn't broken, you're all set. Intake/Exhaust/Tuner already installed? You're within a few percentage points of the max power the bike would ever make, at any cost.

Any dollars that would be spent on making the bike more competitive/capable in those areas, would go much, much further on another platform. As context, most folks racing this bike get it in a competitive state of being with much less invested than you've already put in Saturn. There is no additional headroom on top that will allow them to go much faster, or for you to learn quicker, faster, better, more fully, whatever. If you do run into those limits (and you certainly might at some point) it's time for another bike on track anyway. If it is about making the ultimate 300 in every capacity, then that alone makes it a bike that you might not want to be risking at frequent track excursions.
Makes perfect sense. More power I don't really think is worth pursuing -- I can just buy a 636 or S1000RR if I want that. This is somewhat about making the ultimate 300, somewhat about compulsively modding everything to make this the Motorcycle of Theseus, and somewhat about improving things like reliability, feel, and etc.

HP/Torque are no longer in the realm of perceivable improvements short of something like an actual full engine swap.