View Single Post
Old April 5th, 2010, 11:56 AM   #1
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Bike is running WAY too rich.

Ever since my 7,500 mile service my exhaust has smelled a bit "gassy." It got worse and worse until even my neighbors complained. After getting it serviced again recently (12.5K miles), I asked them to look into it and they said that they found nothing wrong. I drove it to work the next day and it was notably worse than before I took it to the Kawi service center... so much so that my coworker, who used to be a chief line mechanic at a Honda motorcycle assembly plant, came up to me and told me that it was "WAY too rich." He said to have them "throw the mercury tubes" on it, which sounds like "sync the carbs" but he wouldn't confirm if that's another way to put it.

Isn't this supposed to be an extremely lean bike the way it comes from the factory? I never had it jetted, shimmed, or anything. Stock exhaust and air box, new OEM filter element, etc. Perhaps this is why I so rarely break 200 miles per tank.

He also commented on the way the engine speed didn't seem to stabilize when it was fully warmed up (a little "lurchy" if you listen closely).

What could these be symptoms of? Could they be related to my unexplained breakdowns (usually at stop lights; will not start for several minutes; once, in the rain, had to push a mile to a gas station despite not being out of gas)? Should I take it right back to the same Kawi guys and tell them "It's too rich. Fix it." or am I likely to hear the same thing back from them again ("no issues found")? Could de-synced carbs do this? Thanks!
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote