View Single Post
Old April 22nd, 2015, 06:42 AM   #31
JasonJ
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 1980 Yamaha XS850G Midnight Special, 32k Miles; 2000 EX250F, <5000 Orig Miles

Wow.. hot topic huh guys? Did.. not.. realize..

That article from Motorcyclistonline.. um, wow. I can see why that ruffled a lot of feathers. I also understand their test results.. rather enlightening for those that feel a $600+ helmet is the ONLY way to go.

I ended up hitting up the local bike shop last night (they're actually a really HUGE local Honda dealer). I wanted to just try on a few brands for sizing... as I had my eye on a Bell Revolver EVO for about $80 online..

After much fussing with how a Med on one brands sizing chart is really a Large on my head, but one brands Large is another brands XL.. I went with a Gmax G54s in Pearl White.

It's modular, like I wanted. All metal clasps, I counted 16 vents, excellent padding, great fit, and it has an LED light on the back of the helmet as well as a flip down sun shield on the inside that looks like that of a fighter jet pilots helmet. That's cool.

I spent more than I wanted to, a lot more actually. MSRP is $179.99, I see online prices range from $120-$179(full msrp). I paid $159.95. Ouch for me... can I afford it, of course.. did I WANT to spend that much, nope. But now I have a helmet with features I want/need that fits properly and is safe.

So I guess we'll run with this one and maybe down the road I'll try one of the more budget helmets closer to what I originally wanted to spend. Could have been worse, I could have gotten a $700 Schuberth.
JasonJ is offline   Reply With Quote