View Single Post
Old August 2nd, 2017, 05:41 AM   #1
Kawinoob217
ninjette.org member

Name: Ethan

Motorcycle(s): 1998 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Engine Feels Like It's Missing at Medium Speed. Any Ideas?

Hi Everyone,

I recently just started riding (about 3 weeks ago) and I got a hand-me-down 93 Ninja 250. I'm the third owner of the bike and I've had quite an exciting time trying to get it to run reliably (first owner used it as a track bike). Originally, I knew I was flooding the carb, as I could get it to run and idle, but then after a while it would die. If I let the bike run with the fuel valve turned off, and then only turn it on for a bit when I heard it bog down, I could get it to run indefinitely. After ripping the carb apart, soaking it in Berrymans chem-dip, and replacing the float needle valves, I believe I've fixed the flooding problem. Recently though, as I'm riding at about 50 mph, I feel like the engine is kicking in and out. Holding the throttle at a steady 25 - 30%, I feel power come in spurts. Opening up the throttle any more doesn't help. After getting home I checked the fuel line from the fuel petcock to the carb, and the fuel level inside of my inline filter looks kind of low, so I'm not entirely sure that I'm filling the bowls enough while I ride. I've done quite a bit to this bike so far, as some parts were beyond cleaning / repair. Here's what I've done to the bike so far:

1) Yoshimura RS-3 slip on Exhaust.
2) 112 size main jets (stock ones were beyond recovery).
3) New float needle valves.
4) New NGK Plugs.
5) Oil Change (Castrol 10w - 40)
6) K&N RC-1822 intake filters
7) New Battery
8) New Mid Throttle Needles (e-clip on third notch).
9) Idle screws backed out to 3 turns.
10) Chopped air box (to make room for filters).
11) New fuel petcock.
12) Clear fuel tube with inline filter from fuel petcock to carb.

In the case that I'm not getting enough fuel to the carb bowls, does the fuel petcock use the vacuum that is supplied by the outlet of the carb to pressurize the fuel and push it into the carb, or does it just allow gravity to take hold and fill the bowls? If the former is true, then I might have a bad fuel petcock...which would suck cause it's new. I'm open to any suggestions at this point, as I'm getting kind of frustrated . By the way the attachment is a look at the fuel line from my fuel petcock to the carb after a ride. Went from 50mph, to about 25 (subdivision), to stop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170801_162345.jpg (93.4 KB, 14 views)
Kawinoob217 is offline   Reply With Quote