View Single Post
Old April 14th, 2016, 02:13 PM   #25
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z1R rider View Post
I would think you could still push through again, but I used a piece of 22 gauge for the repair so it would be tougher to get through (about twice as heavy it looks). I would certainly think most people would learn after ruining a tank the first time.
I'm not an idiot, but I still like to make things idiot-proof when I can. =)

I guess I was more wondering if the proper-length bolt goes completely through the threaded mounting plate into an airgap before the tank, or if the end of the bolt is within the threads. If the bolt doesn't need to go all the way through, and you can alter the threads on the end a bit to stop a longer bolt before it gets to the tank, that seems like some simple insurance while you're in there anyway. Or maybe you could use a little piece of the sheet metal mounted perpendicular to the tank behind the bolt (which would be much harder to get through).

Again, I'm just curious and thinking out loud. I tend to see the potential in everything, so my brain always looks for possible upgrades and fixes (beyond just "Don't do that again, stupid!"). If there's some way to just stop the longer bolt from screwing in all the way, without interfering with the proper bolt, that seems ideal to me.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote