Thread: 20w50?
View Single Post
Old December 18th, 2017, 10:19 AM   #18
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
No worry at all, Bill. It's just that in 50 years or so of experience with many engines of many types, I've never had a type-of-oil related problem or failure. Having the right amount of good, clean oil of the correct viscosity in an engine is a zillion times more important than what kind it is. And I've miked many crankshaft journals, measured and plotted cam lobes, inspected bores and piston surfaces, etc..

There are guys who research and buy the absolute best oil they can find, and there are others who use decent, ordinary dino oil, and there's no reason to try to convince someone of the other group he's wrong, or try to convince newcomers that they're foolish to buy anything but synthetic oil.

Since I've been around the Internet boards, I've read of engine failures from low oil, too much oil, forgetting to put oil in a newly rebuilt engine, and water in the oil, but never a failure that could be attributed to not spending enough on oil.

And I buy helmets that meet DOT and Snell standards, but have never been over about $120.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.