View Single Post
Old December 23rd, 2021, 04:15 AM   #107
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Yah it's an old thread but it would be good to hear other comments on this one
I crashed HARD on the pavement once , lightly about 3 or 4 times...
by that I mean speed related crashing Hard means you have alot of speed
crashing lightly means below 20 mph !
.... crashing lightly YAH keep trying to save it till it stops ! LOL because I actually dumped it farting around and got it back up while still moving at a good clip ! yah the handle bars hit the ground ! on a dirt bump and i got it back upright in mid air..... but I've not been that lucky again !
my hard crash was at 50mph on a twisty country paved road i leaned into the corner and the bike just fell over and slid away.... I started tumbling and my fingers were striking the pavement extremely hard and the pain definitely woke me up up to that point i was relaxed I pulled in my arms and crossed them across my chest and straightened my legs and put them together and stiffened every mussel in my body I did several more spins on my side and then did a few end over ends and then slid into the ditch....
no broken bones but I had very sore hands for a week !
which is better? relaxed or stiff ? I'd say relaxed... as a thousand times I've dumped it in the dirt and just tried to go with the flow and catch myself the best I could.... that time dumping it on the pavement was the exception
as I was caught by surprise and my hands were screaming STOP THIS !
the only thing I could think of was stiffen up so I did.... from that point on I was like a tinker toy tumbling through the air.... I hit hard but not hard enough to break any bones... I had big bruises everywhere but other than that I walked away from it.
a stiff body may well prevent injury.... or I suppose it could make it worse
it's like this, if I was falling off a cliff and going to land on rocks you can bet every mussel in my body would be at maximum tightness. ! your not going to "Relax" when you see the ground coming at you ! even if you were drunk beyond reason.... that just isn't going to happen !....
so what DO you do ????
go with the flow! if your hands hurt pull them in but other wise just slide
I stiffened up so much I became a projectile and left the ground completely
NOT GOOD... if i had just pulled in my arms I would have just tumbled to a stop possibly damaging my knees in the process because at 50 MPH you spin really fast on your side !!!!!
the best answer to this problem is DON"T CRASH !

Bob.......