View Single Post
Old October 19th, 2017, 02:14 PM   #31
tgold
ninjette.org sage

Name: Timm

Motorcycle(s): 2006 1050 Speed Triple, 2010 250 Ninja racebike, YZF320RR? Racebike

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
While 7000-series may have twice strength and fatigue-resistance as more common 6061-T6, so you can make it lighter in the stronger alloy. However wear-resistance is same for both. Same rockwell, same density, same modulus, etc. Even hard-anodizing isn't enough to extend wear much, you'd need something like a DLC or ion-impregnated surface.

I think ultimate sprocket for weight-savings AND strength/durability would be an aluminium centre carrier with steel outer-ring for teeth. Kinda like floating disc-brakes with separate centre.
It's not just wear resistance it's that with 7075 the sprocket teeth will distort less under load and you'll get longer life.

DLC is pretty cool. I've used it in some applications for work. The problem with aluminum as a substrate is that it moves too much underneath the DLC which would cause it to flake off fairly quickly. DLC on steel would last longer.

They already have what you're talking about so you may want to check these guys out: https://www.supersproxusa.com/

I ran an entire season of endurance racing with one aluminum sprocket and it's still good. I can deal with that for the 25 or 30 bucks it cost me.

I don't get cheap quality sprockets. I'm just willing to take the time to cross-reference them to find the deals on ebay.
tgold is offline   Reply With Quote