View Single Post
Old May 9th, 2016, 09:14 AM   #9
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
I once saw a "Bicycle Box" build into one of the traffic detection loops in a left turn lane. Little white box with a bicycle symbol inside it. My Ninja fit perfectly! I've also waved the car behind me forward so they would trip the signal.

Nevada just passed a Safe of Red law that reads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRS 484B.307 subsection 7 paragraph (d)
After complying with the requirement to stop, a person driving a motorcycle, moped or trimobile or riding a bicycle or an electric bicycle may proceed straight through or turn right or left if:
(1) The person waits for two complete cycles of the lights or lighted arrows of the applicable official traffic-control device and the signal does not change because of a malfunction or because the signal failed to detect the presence of the motorcycle, moped, trimobile, bicycle or electric bicycle;
(2) No other device at the place prohibits either or both such turns, if applicable; and
(3) The person yields the right-of-way to pedestrians and other traffic proceeding as directed by the signal at the intersection.

Great news, except for that bit of waiting two cycles. If on a deserted street and the light is red waiting to pick someone up, if it never triggers, it never cycles. I have yet to find an NHP officer to sit down with and ask "What if?" I did ask the Nevada Rider folks and they kind of shrugged. Luckily, the two signals that I am aware of that fail to detect bikes are easily avoided.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote