Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2weelz View Post
My understanding is that test will tell me whether valves or rings are the problem. Since I have already decided not to tear into the engine, I do not see the point of it. If either the rings or valves need work, it is time to pass the bike along to someone with a secure, dry place to work on it, as well as the time and inclination. Does anyone still think I'm looking at dirty/wet fuel or something else external to the engine? If the cam chain snapped, would it produce these symptoms? It was knocking around for a bit before I cleaned the cam chain tensioner last year.
A cam chain that is too loose could jump one or both sprockets of the cams.
That would deteriorate the proper timing of opening and closing of the valves and the optimum compression.
The piston could hit such out of time valve, bending its stem, which would prevent the valve from freely sliding up to a fully closed position: gases leak and low compression.

Both conditions could easily be seen by removing the valve's cover and turning the engine manually; but, we understand that you don't have the conditions to perform that exploratory surgery.

The history of fuel contamination and the sudden dying of the engine (without previous noise), however, made, and still makes me think of a problem of fuel supply, rather than more serious and costly to resolve valve/timing problem.
If that is true, your low lecture of compression may be due to other than mechanical reasons, like bad calibrated manometer, leaky connector, etc.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.