Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caoboy View Post
Very new rider here.

I feel I don't scan far enough ahead.

Countersteering feels a lot different on the street at higher speeds than as practiced in the motorcycle safety class.

Sometimes I get caught up in downshifting, braking, turn-in and getting back on the throttle through the turn.

I feel mostly it's because this is all very new to me, and it's like learning to drive all over again.
Great answer. Shows that you're thinking along the right lines already.

The farther ahead you look, the less perception of speed you have. Things slow down for you. You gain time to react and think.

Re getting caught up with all the stuff you need to do in a corner... by looking farther ahead you gain more time to sort it all out. There's no need to try to do everything at once at the last minute.

To start with, just focus on being smooth and slowing down your inputs. If you're rushing to get stuff done, you started doing it too late.

Next time, act earlier so you don't have to rush. If you're choosing your tip-in point a second before you reach it, or trying to get the right body position after you've tipped in, or changing your mind about speed mid-turn, or trying to find the correct gear in the middle of the corner, or waited until after the apex to choose your exit marker, or..... you've waited too long. Get it all done sooner. Think ahead, so you can act with confidence.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote