Old September 28th, 2010, 08:40 PM   #94
wayanlam
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Wayan

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Z250

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
Questions:

1.0) Can the air box be removed w/o damaging or bending the metal mesh inside?
1.5) Is it difficult to get the air box back IN w/o damaging the metal mesh?

2.0) I see a few different methods used with and w/o the runners. Is there a GENERAL consensus on this (predictable performance, most often used method)?
i think i almost answered question 1 above. i have yet to see someone posting a DIY without cracking the air filter in two and bending the metal mesh. try removing the back wheel and the rear brake reservoir and pulling it out the back. you will need to remove the carburetor too, so you can rotate the air box around to find the best angle of attack

i almost took the back wheel off cos i was getting so frustrated with the air box and the metal mesh inside, lol... i was hoping to get the metal mesh out without bending it, but there was no way around it.

if you can get the air box out through the back tire space, then it should be easy to put it back in. IF that doesnt work, then i wouldnt think that you can get he airbox back in without warping the metal mesh again... meaning that its gonna be a PITA to get it reassembled in that small space with the metal mesh. that would also mean that they install the air filter BEFORE they install the engine block... lol! go figure

i believe that if you dont use the original air filter runner, the K&N filter will get damaged on a piece of metal that used to hold the original air-filter-box. that piece sticking out of the body tubing to the right of the two red circles that i squiggled in.

this was a pic i took after i added the runner. i only had the filter in for one day without the runners and i noticed that the metal ring was denting the filter mesh. you can see the dent forming on the right side of the filter.

a friend of mine who added the K&N filter but didnt bother adding the runner has a hole going right through the mesh now! basically a gaping hole in the air filter

hope that helps, hehe