View Single Post
Old April 12th, 2017, 05:30 PM   #11
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16

1- downshifting in a turn- no. Downshift before your turn or when coming to a stop if you like.

2- I second the advice to look at your tach for gear choice rather than speedo. I generally accelerate up to 8,000 or 10,000 rpm before I shift. I'm not even sure exactly what speed that means, but it doesn't matter. I'll shift down if I need to get the rpms up for accelerating quickly.

3- Hills- you can use the rear brake to keep you from rolling backwards while getting going. This leaves your hands free to work throttle and clutch.

4- Engine braking, just let off the throttle and let the engine slow you down. I downshift, let the engine slow me, and use the brake as needed when coming to
a curve or a stop.

5- As a beginner, you won't lean very much, most likely. It's ok. You don't have to. There are things you can learn about cornering, but it's not a competition about how much you can lean it over. The bike is actually more stable if it's leaned over less and you lean off the bike to the inside of the corner.

6- The friction zone is relatively narrow. You get a feel for it (like so much of riding a bike). It requires a certain amount of throttle to keep the rpms up, while you let the clutch out (which lowers the rpms). You balance the two.

I agree with playing the mind-game while driving. Watch how traffic patterns go. Who goes where? Are there cars flying up from behind you? Where do they go when they come up to where you are? Who's likely to move where in traffic? Where are there dangers?

A *lot* of this can be predicted if you're paying attention.

You're going to be overloaded for a bit, but once you start to get a hold on the basics of operating the bike, start reading books. I need to get Twist of the Wrist but I've been reading Lee Parks' "Total Control" and it's really useful.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote