View Single Post
Old May 17th, 2017, 04:30 PM   #23
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
You know a LOT of stuff that I don't, so can I pick your brain on this a little more?

I exclusively ride street for now and the forseeable future. What I do is hold the clutch in and downshift to match my speed as approaching a red light. If the light turns green, I never have a problem letting out the clutch as I've gotten good at matching my coasting speed to which gear I'm in. Is what I'm doing dangerous or incorrect? If so, why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post

I see nothing "wrong" with rolling up to a red light with the bike in the correct gear to accelerate through and the clutch pulled in. But in the interest of consistency and good habits, I typically have the clutch out. The only time it's in is the brief moment of shifting and held in/feathered out when pulling away from a stop.
I like what adouglas has said here. To cruise up to a red light with the clutch pulled in in no big deal but generally speaking you don't want to be "coasting" with the clutch pulled all the way in, ever. Like he says above, consistency and good habits would have you downshift to the gear you need an let the clutch back out, only pulling it all in at the red light or stop signs etc to prevent you from stalling the bike. Its going to be quicker and safer to have the bike ready to accelerate if you need to take evasive action for any means.

Also, if you get a bit complacent with coasting it can creep into other areas of your riding and THAT is where it can become really unsafe. Sometimes riders coast THROUGH corners or down hills and that is what we want to completely avoid.

Does this answer your question? Why wouldn't you want to coast through a corner?
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.