View Single Post
Old May 17th, 2017, 05:07 PM   #24
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti View Post
I like what adouglas has said here. To cruise up to a red light with the clutch pulled in in no big deal but generally speaking you don't want to be "coasting" with the clutch pulled all the way in, ever. Like he says above, consistency and good habits would have you downshift to the gear you need an let the clutch back out, only pulling it all in at the red light or stop signs etc to prevent you from stalling the bike. Its going to be quicker and safer to have the bike ready to accelerate if you need to take evasive action for any means.

Also, if you get a bit complacent with coasting it can creep into other areas of your riding and THAT is where it can become really unsafe. Sometimes riders coast THROUGH corners or down hills and that is what we want to completely avoid.

Does this answer your question? Why wouldn't you want to coast through a corner?
I always figured it'd be easy enough to let the clutch out and take evasive action, but easier is much better than easy-enough when in spooky situations when a little mistake might mean getting clobbered by a car or not.

I'm aware that coasting through a corner is a HUGE no-no. I appreciate both yours and @adouglas responses. I'll stop coasting up to lights and start downshifting again

I can't even think of how I got started doing that. I think it was last summer when my bike was getting warmer than I'd have liked when in traffic, and I wanted to cool it down more. I've since flushed the cooling system, and the bike now stays at an appropriate temperature for much longer when in traffic.

I guess that's another lesson that can be taken away from this: don't let mechanical problems turn into riding problems.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.