View Single Post
Old April 8th, 2019, 07:42 PM   #1
Milpool
ninjette.org member

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): GPX250r (pregen Ninja 250)

Cold Engine Stalling

I've been having some trouble for a while with my '07 Ninja 250 (technically a GPX250 as I live in Australia but it's the same bike).

When the engine is cold and I come to a stop with the clutch in the revs just drop and the bike stalls. It starts up again without a problem and I'm on my way. Absolutely nothing wrong with it when it's warm. Also the colder the weather the worse the issue.

Around the same time this started happening I did have another issue where when I was starting the bike from cold the choke would send the revs to 2 - 3k rpm as it should then a few seconds later it would just drop to about 1k without stalling and honestly seemed quite comfortable there. A few twists of the throttle would send it back to where it was supposed to be then it would drop again a few seconds later.

I recently did an oil change (they are always regular) but I switched to 10w - 40 full synthetic. Before I had 15w - 50 "standard" oil as that is what the guy at the shop recommended, I now realise that's not great for cold starts. Since the recent oil change the above problem has got heaps better but the stalling when coming to a stop issue remains.

Also I've noticed that while it's sitting at a nice comfortable 2k rpm with the choke to warm up, the instant I put it into first with the clutch in it drops to 1k and sits there. This is new.

Other things I have tried include carb cleaner fuel additive. Spray carb cleaner into the carbs intake and a carb sync.

Is anyone able to give any advice on what it could be? Also beyond the inconvenience, how worried should I be?
Milpool is offline   Reply With Quote