View Single Post
Old August 23rd, 2016, 09:59 AM   #14
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DmbShn41 View Post
Sorry @Ghost, wasn't sure if that was for the pre-08 model, or the 08-12 model. Thanks!
That's from the PreGen wiring diagram, but it's the same for any single-indicator bike. The only thing that might be different on other bikes is the wire colors.
  1. Cut both wires.
  2. Put diodes on both wires A and B coming from the harness.
  3. Connect the other end of both diodes to wire A on the indicator light.
  4. Connect wire B on the light to ground.
The junction into wire A allows either side to power the bulb, while the diodes keep the power from feeding back into the other side's signals, only allowing it to power the indicator.

I also suggest using the black/yellow wire in the harness to ground the indicator bulb. The frame should be fine to ground to, but this way you're using the existing wire designed to ground the electrical components, and you're not fastening the harness to the frame at an additional point either. I just think it keeps things cleaner.

The Kuryakyn 4709 "kit" mentioned in this thread is basically just the diodes with wires attached. It's a nice "ready-to-DIY" item if you're not the type to have extra diodes and wire laying around, but don't need a fully PnP kit.

Here's another simple visual representation of the mod, using the wire colors in the Kuryakyn kit.

I've been thinking about making a new style of PnP diode mod, but I'm not sure how cheap I could make it, for it to be something that people would actually buy. The idea should work on both PreGen and NewGen, just with slightly different connectors as needed. In theory, it could be adapted to any single-indicator bike with the right connectors.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote