View Single Post
Old May 3rd, 2017, 02:54 PM   #16
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

Name: Ruben

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 and 1991 Yamaha Virago XV750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohawk View Post
So I guess you must all be youngsters. Back in the 70's when most bikes were twins & if 4-stroke they usually only had 2 valves per cylinder. The performance models would have a carb per cylinder & the commuter/cruiser/shopping bikes would have one carb. But all basically had the same engine with maybe different cams.

A single carb model robs you of the intake pulse tuning, so fine for low to midrange power, but NOT good for maximum performance. A single carb made the bikes cheaper too, so that is why it went on the plain old cooking models. A single carb model would lose 25-40% of its peak power output, but would give better mpg, if not thrashed everywhere.

Your choice
No, I'm in my 60s. Listen, performance isn't everything. Most people are so bad at multiple carb tuning, balancing and synchronization, they lose any performance gains that multiple carbs may offer.

But, I agree. For high revs, quick performance, like on a race track, yes, multiple carbs are the answer. But, most people, especially with smaller engines could benefit from a wider performance band and more low end torque.

One last point on "intake pulse tuning". In my old and feeble mind, good engine power is all about a sooth and constant intake manifold pressure, which a single carburetor gives you. Most people aren't racers or even mechanics, they are just riders that want a good running, reliable and easy to fix engine. Motorcycle manufacturers use multiple carbs because it is a sales gimmick. They want people to think they have a racing bike. Most people can't maintain a commuter bike, much less a complicated racing bike.

As I have said around here in almost every thread I post on, SIMPLICITY IS ALWAYS BETTER. I believe that the easier we make things, the better life gets. Thus, my view on bike carburetors.

Just my opinion.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote