View Single Post
Old August 13th, 2022, 05:36 PM   #1
JabezStone
ninjette.org member

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250r

After a great day of riding, bike won't run. Help troubleshooting?

Hi, everyone!

Last week I rode my bike (2005 Ninja 250R, 4500 miles) for about 5 hours... great time! I brought it home hot, parked in the garage, and 3 days later went to start it up, and all it will do is crank... doesn't even try to start. I'll share the quick back-story, then share what I've done so far.

BACKSTORY
Bike had sat in garage for about 3 years. I pulled, stripped, and cleaned the carbs, flushed and cleaned the fuel tank, put it all back together, and it had been running great for a few weeks... until this episode.

WHAT'S HAPPENING
When I tried starting the bike after sitting a few days after a successful ride, it would crank fine, but does not attempt to start... no combustion. Tried choking it, thinking maybe it was too cold. Still wouldn't start. Tried with a little throttle, still wouldn't start. Confirmed fuel is coming from bleeds under both bowls. My first thought was "carbs must be gummed up again". Then I went through the following...

WHAT I'VE DONE SO FAR
  • Ensured fully charged battery throughout work and testing.
  • Removed and cleaned the carbs again, reinstalled, no luck.
  • Inspected the air filter. It was deteriorating, so I removed it, cleaned the air box out, replaced with new filter from dealer. Checked all the airways (all clear). Tried starting again. Still no luck.
  • Checked all the fuel and vent lines. All clear. Carbs are fully getting fuel.
  • Removed spark plugs, tested for spark against engine, and both had good spark. Cleaned, checked gaps (.7) and replaced. Still no luck.
  • Pulled the carburetor again, and this time installed a factory rebuild kit with new needles, jets, pins, gaskets, washers, o-rings. Reassembled, tested again. Bowls filled with fuel, still no combustion.

So, I'm really at a loss guys. I've tested everything I can think of... air, fuel, spark. I'm really perplexed because it was running great before I set it up for a few days.

Any thoughts on what I might try next? Thank you!
JabezStone is offline   Reply With Quote