View Single Post
Old November 13th, 2014, 08:50 AM   #4
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 106 View Post
I am constantly finding myself adjusting my idle speed. It is probably because I ride at different times of the day.. I work nightshift. So I am assuming the different idle is a cause of the difference in temperatures throughout the day/night.

I live in Sacramento, California and we've been getting about a 20 degrees F difference. Can that be the cause? I'll set it to 1500rpm at about 6pm when I head out to work. Then when I head back, it will be at about 1000rpm.

Edit: I ride a 2006 EX250
You may be getting some condensation forming in the tank if it's not close to full most of the time.

Add a strong fuel system cleaner now, or once a season. Chevron Techron Concentrate at 1oz per gal is my favorite.

You could also drain the floatbowls and see what comes out. Maybe there's sediment in there that occasionally is getting drawn up into the carb.

Have you adjusted your idle mixture screws to an optimum setting? 2 1/2 turns out is a good start. One way to do it is to adjust them to get the highest hot idle speed - then go slightly richer (1/8 out or so) to smooth the transition to the needles. When you are done adjust the idle speed (hot) to 1300.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.