View Single Post
Old January 10th, 2013, 06:27 PM   #128
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250(Totaled)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse View Post
I've only had a few black ice moments and all the usual warning signs were there such as location and something looking different on the road surface. I had slowed enough but it was too late to brake hard before I was in it. The key is to not do anything to upset the bike - no throttle, no brake, no steering. The only chance you have is to glide over it and hope it's short. Every time I remembered to be light on the bars, not to grab them. Was squeezing my bum so tight, I probably grew an inch but I think I was over it before I had a real chance to mess it up.
That seems to apply for lots of "almosts". No extreme actions to make the bike unbalanced. So far so good.

The kit I saw came with gloves and socks that plugged in. Some had more plugs available for vests, GPS, phone etc.

Bad boy :-)

Here's my technique, others have their own style. None would be "wrong" as long as it works!
I was taught four paw braking. Some people say never use the back brake but if guys use it at the track and MotoGP, I think they know better than I do, so I learned how to use it. Barely ever have to use it but I know how to so I can use it to settle the bike if I have to.
For hard e-braking, just start at really slow speed, straight line. No matter what gear you're in, you'll be hammering that sucker down to first, makes no diff. Everything but the geardown is PROGRESSIVE, not on/off like a light switch. If you practice to get it smooth at slow speed, do it 50 times more and then move up to a bit faster etc - it's not a competition It just has to be comfy enough that you have no fear doing it.

Then do it every time you're out and in a safe place. My instructors famous word that everyone here is probably sick of hearing - "Make your first reaction the right reaction" So in a panic situation, you will be comfy with it and it will be a natural thing. It works VERY well so keep your eyes on the mirrors and always know your escape route. Drivers don't have any idea how fast we can stop on a bike and they'll just run us over.

Slow riding, same deal and remember when you do a hard turn, you're almost to the point where you're looking behind yourself! Clutch finesse! The ninja and I had real issues with that when I started kept stalling when doing slow speed things. Give it time and master it. So many people move up to a bigger bike but it never seems to solve the real issue like not learning how to ride well. LOL!

Oh yeah. But on the bright side - my textiles make freakin' awesome snowpants too! I can slide down a hill at 50kph and have no fear.
I practiced a little bit the other night on break at work. Which I realized later was probably a bad idea. I was still on the clock... so had I gotten hurt... But anyway, I was doing pretty good with the slow maneuvers. I only tried quick stopping twice. It was pretty cold out, and my tires were cold and well I was skidding around a bit. Not locking up the wheels, just not enough traction. So in fear of ruining my tires, I stopped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
It's a girl!

Did you give her a name yet?
I did actually. I've been toying around with names since I got her. And I had thought of one, but my friend has a dog named that.

So original name was going to be Kenzie. Reason was if anyone has ever seen the show Lost Girl, the character Kenzie looks and acts innocent most of the time. But piss her off, she'll bite your head off!

Now the actress that plays her name is named Ksenia. Which is just an awesome name. So the bike from this point on is Ksenia!