View Single Post
Old March 25th, 2014, 12:09 PM   #37
jeffb502
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White Ninja 300, 2010 Red Ninja 250r (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
looks good. give it a rev when you're downshifting and it will smooth it out a bit so you can let the clutch out quicker without upsetting the bike
Thanks! I was trying to rev match by just holding the throttle steady where I think it needed to be, but I tend to give it less than it needs sometimes. I've tried "blipping" a few times but haven't got the hang of it yet. If I remember I'll give it a try on my ride today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post

You seem to oversteer a lil bit on the exit of the left handers. I know that seems like I am nit picking for a 45 sec. vid but actually... I feel it to be a clue about about visual skills. What are you looking at on corner exit? You looking at the center of the road or yellow line?
I appreciate your close observation. By oversteer do you mean I keep steering back towards the left after the turn is over? I'm guessing it's not like car oversteer since I didn't do any drifting in this video. I didn't notice that but I'll pay attention to where I'm looking on my corner exit. I'm guessing I shouldn't be looking at the line, and instead be looking down the road, either at the next corner's entry point or just straight down the road if it's a straight section.

Usually the first thing I'm consciously looking at while exiting a corner is the next corner, evaluating what lane position I should turn in from, what my entry speed should be based on how far I can see through the corner and/or the sharpness of the corner if I can see the whole corner, etc. but I could be unconsciously looking at something else. Of course if there is no next corner I'll start scanning far up the road for hazards, and every now and then look around at how beautiful the scenery is.

Part of the problem could be I had my camera mount tilted slightly to the left for this video, which makes it look like I'm leaning a bit left when I'm actually straight up and down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
For the freeway section where you riding a 1000 SS?

You were passing cars fairly easily so clearly you could not have been on a 300 or 250, everyone tells me you can't pass cars on a 250/300 when on the highway/freeway, they are to slow.
Of course. I bored and stroked my 300 to a 1000, that way I can have the light weight of the 300 with the power of a 1000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
Not a criticism but... I didn't notice any mid-corner corrections. Awesome! It always feels good if I set the bike up, lean it over and don't have to adjust mid-corner I don't always get it right.

I notice that in a lot of the crash videos, the riders make lots of mid-corner corrections before they eventually crash. It's like they don't know how to confidently set the bike up and smoothly stick to a good line. Or at least... they don't know how to do it at the speed they're travelling... which is something else positive I noticed in your video. You didn't look like you were riding outside of your comfort zone. You looked in control at the speed you were travelling.

If you want some criticism... tell your ninjette not to get high before a ride. I could barely see the video through all that smoke

Edit: I'm a nooblet so you prolly shouldn't listen to me
Thanks! I've been told that mid corner corrections are bad because they eat up a lot of our available traction, so even in the MSF class one of my main goals in the turning drills was to set my line and stick with it, and ride slow enough that if I do have to make a change I have some traction left to do it.

The actual culprit was my Sony action cam hot boxing its waterproof case. I wish there was an easy way to mount it without the case. I have some of the desiccant strips coming in the mail to throw in the case with the camera to prevent fogging...they should arrive today.

A week and a half ago I was on a group ride and the rider behind me mentioned that I was sitting 3" to the right of center the whole time he was behind me. He didn't say anything until I specifically asked him during a break if there was anything he noticed I could work on, but as soon as I asked it came out quick, like he was already thinking of saying something, but didn't want to offend me by being critical of my riding. You guys don't have to worry about offending me; I'm here to learn and if I'm doing something wrong I'd rather fix it now than turn it into a bad habit that's harder to fix later.
jeffb502 is offline   Reply With Quote