View Single Post
Old June 10th, 2016, 09:17 AM   #7369
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyjboss View Post
the neutral light does work, and usually if I have the Ninja in gear when the side stand is down, any forward motion will cause it to stall. I did not realize that it's not supposed to start at all in first.
The CDI igniter can use any of the three safety switches (sidestand, neutral, clutch) to provide ground for the bike to run. The starter relay grounds directly through the clutch switch, which also passes through to the neutral switch (separate from the igniter's connection to the neutral switch). The starter button should be dead unless you either have it in neutral or pull the clutch in.

The NewGen grounds the clutch switch through the sidestand switch. So holding the clutch to start it only works if you also have the sidestand up (as would be the case if you stalled at a stop sign or something). If it's parked in gear, just holding the clutch in won't allow it to start. This is probably a good little bit of extra protection, as it would probably lurch a bit before stalling when you released the clutch with it in gear (which sounds like what happened to you).

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote