Thread: Bicycles!
View Single Post
Old May 24th, 2018, 07:00 PM   #2171
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Well that took an unexpectedly dark turn...

Also new 11-speed and 12-speed is more fragile than old 8/9 speed?? Oh lawd, keep it coming, that's too good. can't wait to see the anecdotal "proof" there...

Jim, that's an interesting product. I wouldn't buy it, but I can see how it would be a fun project to develop and perfect. I'm generally not a fan of vehicle nannies, but I do appreciate the work that goes into them because I'm a nerd and that kind of stuff excites me. It's funny you mentioned a braking product today because I had an interesting ride today. I got out of work late and the rain was holding off, so I went to a close trail and wanted to rip a lap before dark (barely made it) so I has hustling to get done before I really regretted not having a light. As I'm swooping clean lines through the trees, lobbing the bike of humps, tossing it down some rocks, and generally having some party time on the descent, it occurred to me that today was the most deftly in-tune I've been with the bike in a while. I was fast and smooth and light and I never locked, lifted, or skittered a wheel under braking, and all my braking lines were committed and effortless. I then proceeded to speed home because my sensation of speed was so skewed from a fast ride that I had to actually watch my speedo...

It's funny because if we all spent a little time getting to know our vehicles, we wouldn't NEED the nannies. Like my ride today, great braking is just a practiced habit. Once you get the hang of it, it becomes something you can do without thought. So while nanny brakes might be a great project on a bicycle for the sake of doing it, it might be best to leave it as just a thought experiment. Kinda like e-assist bikes. I have a very strong inner debate about them and I'm not sure how i really feel. I'm a fan of tech that progresses what we have, like hydraulic brakes and dropper posts, but I'm not sure I like tech for the sake of itself and nothing else. At what point do we go from improving the bicycle to meet a performance need and we go to making something that no longer is in the spirit of the original? Just interesting thoughts.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote