View Single Post
Old March 27th, 2015, 09:37 AM   #12
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralgha View Post
The white and green wires are the data lines, I just cut them off, but you could short them together to ensure that whatever (non Apple) device you use it with sees it as a "charge only" cable.
With the data wires missing, the device should limit itself to 500mA if it follows the USB spec. Shorting the data wires together tells the device it can pull up to 1A. Devices >1A use voltage divider circuits to give different (proprietary) voltages on the data lines to indicate what current level to use.

I have a USB power port like Ghostt linked installed on my 500. Some GPS units that use a standard USB port for charging have direct-wire 12V kits. It's a USB plug on one end, red and black wires on the other, and all the necessary magic in between to make it Just Work™. If you can find a GPS with a USB port matching the port and power draw of your camera (or other device), you can simply buy one of those. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002ALTKBM/ is one example.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote