View Single Post
Old November 2nd, 2018, 05:38 PM   #1
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Post Pandas broken watch

As some may know I like to play with watches. I took a watch making course a couple years ago and got some basic tools. Nothing elaborate really. And it is far from watch making. Cleaning and service is more like it. Before battery powered disposable watches people took there watches to a shop. Cost maybe $1.25. They would take it apart, clean everything, oil it and set the adjustment to keep relitivly accurate time. Or at least hopefully keep running.

Panda contacted me last week and sent me this really cool watch. It’s a Hamilton Khaki mechanical. Mechanical means you have to wind it up every day. As opposed to an Automatic. They run as long as you put them in motion.

The Hamilton watch company goes way back and has an interesting history.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

So on to the watch. It’s a beautif field watch with a Swiss movement. The gears and springs are made in Switzerland by a company calle ETA. They are a giant watch movement manufacturer. And almost every watch company on earth uses there parts.
So this particular watch seems to have a problem in the main spring. This is the power source of the watch. The spring is wound up and the gears and parts all work to unwind the spring at an even rate. But this spring seems to slip. We will see what is wrong once I take it apart.

Taking your watch apart is not difficult. But without the proper tools and training the chance of successful repair is slim.

The oil part is tricky and you need to have the proper oil. I’ll get to all that later.
This is a photo of my little watch repair bench. And the Hamilton Field Mechanical.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E469DC27-95CC-4866-8D61-569F615EE601.jpg (68.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg D08FE60F-5033-4D89-B92A-E30E56F0BEEE.jpg (164.2 KB, 1 views)

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.