View Single Post
Old March 15th, 2019, 09:40 PM   #2
Danger4u2
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r plus 7 other bikes.

It was missing the spacer and I can't imagine the screw piercing the tank without striping the phillips head or at least messing up the threads on the end of the screw. The screw was in perfect condition.
But I still have a hole in the tank. Here's how I fixed it.
I took a plastic coated steel garden stake for tomatoes and bent it in a J shape so I could back up the hole from the inside. I put a piece of masking tape on the end for better grip. Next I threaded the screw in the left side and bottomed it lightly against the tank. I wrapped it with a narrow piece of masking tape as a depth gauge. A Q-Tip is just the right diameter to reach thru the threaded flange and pack the hole with J-B Weld (cut the cotton tip off). I needed a second person to hold the stake backing up the hole. Then I took the depth gauge screw and greased the end. I didn't want J-B Weld sticking to the end of the screw but I wanted it to stick to the treads. I screwed it in and out cleaning the threads each time until both the screw and tank flange threads were free of J-B Weld. I greased the end of the screw again, inserted it in the hole using the tape as the depth gauge, removed the stake and turned the tank screw side down so the epoxy would stay in the hole against the end of the greased screw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190313_153824.jpg (76.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190313_154118.jpg (74.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 20190313_160427.jpg (54.0 KB, 2 views)
Danger4u2 is offline   Reply With Quote