View Single Post
Old August 5th, 2010, 08:58 PM   #1
manorat
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Metal Shavings in Oil, Bad Cam Chain Tensioner?

So, I've written about this in another thread, but I think i've gotten to a new point in this problem that the subject line needs to change. So here it goes. My '07 250 w/ 7200 miles just got put on the road 2 days ago. After taking it for a ride I noticed an occasional grinding sound. The kind of sound that makes you shut the engine off immediately (out of fear). As suggested in my last thread I checked to see the condition of the oil to see if there was any signs of debris in the engine case. Sure enough there were TONS of particles and shavings, mostly very very fine. I did however find just one tiny semi-circular shaving (idk if that means anything to anyone). The cam chain tensioner was suggested as a possible problem. I pulled it just now, and everything looks to be intact. How exactly do you know if the tensioner is shot, looks to me like nothing could go wrong? What gets replaced? Is it the whole assembly? Has anyone else out there had metal in their oil? What did it turn out to be?

Thanks,

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
manorat is offline   Reply With Quote