View Single Post
Old December 27th, 2017, 06:37 AM   #19
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
I'm reading that blog a bit differently from some, it seems.

I don't see it as trying to lasso people who would otherwise not be interested. I see it as engaging with people who are, but feel uncertain for whatever reason -- risk, fear, convenience, you name it.

Aggressive evangelism (as in "Come to the light! Believe what I believe!") has always turned me off. Expecting people to suddenly want the same things you want just because you think they should is, well, rude.

When I encounter someone who's expressed an interest, I'm more than willing to talk to them, tell them the real deal, and offer support. Sometimes it scares them away because I don't pull punches about safety, risk, stereotypes or being a responsible rider... but results don't lie. I'm a middle-aged guy who rides on the track and hasn't crashed in 31 years... and that was a simple 10 mph brain fade drop.

I did this very thing with a young guy and his mom at this year's motorcycle show. They were looking at the same bike I ride on the street -- a current-gen GSX-R750 -- and I had a nice chat with them, pointing them towards some bikes that might be a bit more suitable and telling them why.

Some encounter this unassuming little guy and see a midlife crisis being played out (BS... I never stopped being like this). Others see someone enjoying the hell out of that part of his life and somewhere inside just might be thinking "If that guy can do this, why can't I?" The latter are the people I like talking to.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.