View Single Post
Old December 28th, 2017, 07:54 AM   #27
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph42 View Post
And you can tell those people too, because they are trying to sell a Ninja 300 for $6000. They bought a bike for full MSRP and got raped $1500 in fees for freight, setup, documentation, and any other BS they can think up for ADP (additional dealer profit) to add on top of tax title and license.

I've bought 4 new bikes. But I've only ever bought new old stock that was severely discounted. (Like my new 2013 Ninja 1000 for $6500 late 2016) Some people are like "I can buy new because I am going to own this bike forever!" No you're not, you have no clue. You just took a high interest loan out for a toy that you're finished playing with in 2 months.

All new riders should buy used bikes, preferably crashed once and super cheap. Experienced long time riders should be the only ones to buy new, and that's only for a new model year that matches what they've been waiting for. They are likely to own it for much longer.
I totally agree. Dealerships prey on new riders, selling them all sorts of "peace of mind" crap like a 5 yr maintenance contract, so all they ever need to do is bring it back to the dealer and everything is covered. They never even learn how to adjust the chain or change the oil. And when they decide to sell the bike in less than a year they think they can get some of those over-charges back, which they eventually find out they can't.

I also think buying a new bike is a real bad idea for the new rider. It's going to get damaged at some point, so a used, less than perfect, cycle is a much wiser choice.

I've never taken out a loan for a cycle, and to me it's not a good idea either.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote