View Single Post
Old February 20th, 2018, 02:51 PM   #34
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Three. Tip-in, apex cone (which I have to wait for because it's very late and pops out from behind a tire wall) and exit cone.

I also use the center pavement seam for orientation.
So this is a long sweeping corner and you can't actually SEE the apex cone from tip in so would having another RP in between turn in point and apex help you feel more online and located? Would that give you a more specific line to follow and more chance of actually making the apex? What could you use as a good RP there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Until I've got the bike pointed is my answer for both.

However, because I've been letting off before really getting the bike pointed where it ought to be going, I wind up making more than one input. I've held pressure until I've got the bike pointed but it's not pointing the right way. I'll be LOOKING a the apex, but I won't have steered the bike enough to GET to the apex.

After this instructional session, I started thinking more about "getting there," thinking to go TO the apex, not just go by it.
Yes, you want to hold pressure on the bar until the bike is at the lean angle you want and pointed in the direction you want to go, then you release all pressure and focus on good throttle control. You are making steering corrections (which I can see in the video) and this is most likely because you aren't looking exactly where you want to be (or you can't see it from the turn in point) If you had another RP before the apex, would that give you something more solid to aim for, and reduce the chances of making multiple steering corrections?

I hope this is helping you sort out what is toeing on
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote