Old January 20th, 2014, 03:16 PM   #88
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
All that can be summed up by just saying "the engine", but I feel ya.

If you listen to the throttle control of the guy in Motofool's vid, you will notice something majorly different than Crash's video. The guy keeps a steady medium rpm. So he is controlling speed with the clutch and brakes.

2 ways of doing the same thing. I am not saying it's better or worse, I am just saying that keeping your rpms up is another tool for slow speed turns, such as u-turns.

Method 1: Steady clutch
Put clutch in friction zone and hold mostly steady
Modulate throttle
Drag rear brake if you need

Method 2: Steady throttle
Put rpms at a medium level via throttle and hold steady (something that feels comfortable)
Modulate clutch to vary speed (the modulation is very very tiny and doesn't fully leave the friction zone)
Drag rear brake if you need

My method is a combination of the two.
Good post! The rear brake is hugely helpful in U-turns as is modulating the clutch. I have found second gear to be slightly smoother when doing Uies, especially on the 300. It also it helps to look way over your shoulder at your end point as you begin your turn, though it's counter-intuitive as you're nearly looking backwards briefly. Pushing the bike up from under you and TRUSTING that it can easily handle a U-turn with the bars fully locked will get you turning nice and tight.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.