View Single Post
Old May 9th, 2023, 03:04 PM   #87
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

I Think I may have found the problem.... the air screws !
stock settings do not work here at my elevation.... 3500+ ft. ASL .... I know that so I already opened up the airscrews a bit.... hard to say how much I opened them up though
as it's near impossable to keep the screwdriver tip in the slot and turn it too....
anyway I fired up the bike ( which it will not even start if the airscrews are set to factory settings) and thought about it.... because it was still running really poorly at mid range
(at least that part was the same/consistent) and I thought I wonder if the airscrews are too lean a setting? so I got out the tool while it was idling and warming up...
and I opened up the right cylinder airscrew a full turn at least.... maybe more.
gave it the throttle and it revved up to 9,000 RPM without stumbling in mid range...
I did it again and again no problems... I opened up the left cylinders airscrew by about 3/4 turn or so.... and tried it and there was no hesitation in mid range at all !
NO one has ever mentioned that the airscrews being adjusted wrong will cause a flat spot in mid range.... but I am here to tell you they will !
she was getting warm and antifreeze was being spit out the over flow because I don't have the over flow container on it so I turned it off to cool down....
..... it may well be my altitude here that makes the carbs react so harshly to being misadjusted.... but i am really supprised that it took away the flat spot in mid range !
at last check the bike ran great through the entire RPM range but I will not be supprised if when I start it again it does something else really weird ....
who would have thought it's just air screws ? Not me that is for sure !
now I need to do an honnest airscrew adjustment like I did after my carb cleaning 3 years ago.... kill one cylinder and adjust for highest idle, and switch and do the other cylinder. I haven't done that sense I got the carbs back from Gordon....I have been guessing and sense it idled I figured it was close enough.... but not with these carbs it isn't ! ...
it makes sense that the airscrew adjustment effects the RPM range all the way through wide open throttle.... it's a certain amount of fuelthat mostly matters at isle and just barely opening the throttle.... but it still works over the entire range of RPM....
so if the carb is actually poorly designed and runs lean at mid range the airscrew adjustment would indeed effect it alot..... so I'll say it...the carbs on the Ninja SUK !
not only are they poorly designed so that it takes a master to clean them properly
but their atomization range was so poorly designed that the engine will not run right
if the air screws are not perfect.... I have never ran into that with any other carb. EVER
.... I would think that replacing the carbs is a standard procedure for a racer because these carbs do not do their job very well.
unbelievable.... now I am just hoping that it runs as good as it did when I turned it off
when I start it again.... because this bike has not been consistent ...every time I start it it runs differently !...... but maybe I found it ? I can hope!LOL
Bob......