View Single Post
Old December 9th, 2015, 05:34 PM   #11
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
What they said. The safety switches kill the engine, but not all the power on the bike. If EVERYTHING goes out, it has to be one of the components common to all circuits. That means the white Main wire, possibly the brown switched power wire from the ignition to the junction box, or a major ground. Problems with those could kill pretty much all the power.

If playing with the key actually helps, I would suggest looking at the ignition switch first. But that could be a red herring if it's just coincidence with a hot wire cooling, a broken wire wiggling back to a working state, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
I did check the kickstand switch, it doesn't seem to be connected at all because I can put the bike up on the center stand with the kickstand down and it runs just fine.
FYI, the kickstand switch will kill the engine if it's down and you don't have the bike in neutral or the clutch pulled in. In normal usage, it will kill the engine as you start to ride off - after you've put it in gear, as you let the clutch out to start moving. If you have the bike running and in gear on the centerstand, putting the sidestand down should kill the engine. But the engine will run just fine as long as you're pulling the clutch lever or have it in neutral.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote