View Single Post
Old August 8th, 2020, 07:31 PM   #1
Macd7919
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Daimian

Motorcycle(s): Z1000, M109R, Husky FX450

Rough running at low rpm

Hi everyone, my first post here and I’m hoping I can get some help, or confirmation, on what I think is wrong with the 2011 250 I just picked up. I did some searching and I’m pretty sure this is what my problem is but wanted to confirm the symptoms I’m having match my suspicions. The previous owner had left the bike sitting (indoors) for at least a few years. She said it ran fine before that (which I doubt at this point) so I got the bike already knowing I would be rebuilding the carbs. First thing I did was drain all the old fuel out and refill with fresh. I got the bike to start but it ran very roughly and you couldn’t give it any throttle. Fast forward to today - I rebuilt the carbs with all new jets, needles, etc... and reset the idle air screws to 2.5 turns out. The first thing that made me think the bike hadn’t been running right before I got it was that the idle air screws were nearly all the way closed (not to mention the o-rings and washers were on the wrong side of the spring). Anyways, got it back together, went to fire it up, ran for about 30s and died. Cranked it over again and nothing, then a big backfire. Did it a few more times and it was the same thing. Pulled the plugs and they were wet so I grabbed two new plugs and she fired right up and idled, roughly. So now the bike is running roughly but will stay running on its own. If you slowly feed it throttle it roughly revs up until it hits about 3k rpm and then it runs great. Above 3k, it’s perfect. Let it fall below that and it’s rough, I would consider rough to the level of unridable. My question is, when I was in the carbs doing the rebuild, I’m 99% sure I did NOT see the needle jets in either carb. These would be part number 16017-1417 in the Kawasaki Microfiche. I’m going to pull the carbs back apart tomorrow to confirm but can anyone confirm that these are the types of symptoms I would see if those pieces were missing? Also, is there anyone who has a pair of needle jets they would be willing to sell me? It looks like there is quite a wait to get them from any of the normal sources and I was hoping to get this thing on the road sooner then later. Thanks for any input you may be able to provide!
Macd7919 is offline   Reply With Quote