View Single Post
Old August 9th, 2020, 02:21 PM   #6
Macd7919
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Daimian

Motorcycle(s): Z1000, M109R, Husky FX450

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiman View Post
DIY is often accompanied by do overs and trial by fire. OP should have determined critical parts missing in 1st go around.

Sorry but I can't accept the comment "running great" without needle jets, an integral component of the main mixing chamber.

Predicting the need for further actions, beyond needle jet replacement, is impossible.
Replace them, then reevaluate performance based on real world riding conditions.
Well, it’s scary to say the previous owner (PO) had all prior service done by a shop. I know as I have the receipts for all of it, including said “carb rebuild”. Also, I’m the one going back in and “fixing” things. I have a sneaking suspicion the shop who did the work last time dropped the needle jets, possibly didn’t realize it, and could never get the bike running right, and then it sat. I also found the springs/washer/o-ring on the idle air screws backwards when I took it apart. That was corrected but I wasn’t familiar enough with the carb on the initial disassembly to know there were needle jets missing but I know that I rebuilt the carb correctly (not my first rodeo) with the exception of not knowing these carbs had a needle jet and with the resulting poor low rpm w/clean running up top I knew there was something more going on, which is where I found out about the missing needle jets looking through other posts and the Kawi microfiche.

With all that said, my main question is IF the needle jets were left out, is that the type of result one would expect (low rpm stumble with clean running in mid-high rpm range)? Unfortunately I have nothing to compare to as I’ve never had a ninja 250 or ridden one before. I’m sure I’m not the first person to have tried running one without the needle jets and there should be some sort of idea what stage of fueling they affect. Lastly, does anybody have any laying around the would be willing to sell? I can get them through my normal parts source but shipping is something like 3 weeks out and I was hoping to get this thing back on the road sooner then later. Thanks for any info in advance!

Last futzed with by Macd7919; August 9th, 2020 at 05:01 PM.
Macd7919 is offline   Reply With Quote