View Single Post
Old January 1st, 2013, 08:14 PM   #1795
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshorilla View Post
It's the same reason why most goverments tax alcohol, perfume and cigarettes, they perceive big bikes as more dangerous, and not a neccisity "a luxury good in economic terms", nobody is saying they can't have a big bike, you just have to pay for the privilage.

My insurance (mandatory) would go up by 100% if I wanted a 600cc and 500% for a 1000cc

Why? Because you're more likely to kill yourself or others or destroy the bike, thats the reason people get 250cc bikes in the west typically.

Plus the demand historically for big bikes in the east with the division of wealth would have meant the demand would have been small and inelastic so why not levy a huge tax?

So yeah it's not a bad idea to make the consumer pay.
You realize there are different bikes for different purposes yes? Your little 250 is no good for carrying a passenger or long distance rides. There are many more aspects to a bike than simply the CCs of the engine an that is what is so fail about that tax. Imagine being taxed 100% on any car over 1.6L. You really don't need anything bigger, hauling and towing, why that's a luxury my friend, a luxury you must pay double for.
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote