View Single Post
Old August 8th, 2021, 06:01 AM   #1
frostyflammable
Race, Brake, Fix, Repeat

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250

2006 250R, cranks but no start

I am trying to get a 2006 250R back on the road. I bought it for really cheap but it has been sitting for forever and the previous owner inherited it so he has no idea why... but for $100 I am not complaining. I have done a lot of small engine repair and maintenance but this is a first "real engine" if you will.

My issue is that the engine is free, it will crank using the switch but will not start. I have verified spark and I get strong spark on both coils. Cleaned the crud out of the carb and I am getting fuel inside the cylinder, even with some starting fluid it won't even cough. My next course of action was to test the compression or do a leakdown test however my compression tester does not have an adapter that small. I think I need a 10mm adapter if my research is correct. Before I take the head off I wanted to do a compression test.

My question is, is there something obvious I am missing to get it to run?
Second is there a good compression tester adapter people around here use? I am worried if I use an adapter it will be suck unscrewing it from the spark plug hole. I am used to OHV engines so this was never a problem, but OHC engines have the spark plug deep inside there.

I did get another 2002 250R and quite a few parts from a third bike for the price so I have parts I can use (hopefully good parts) to fix this bike. Just wanted to see what everyone else though good next step is.

Thanks,
Dan.
frostyflammable is offline   Reply With Quote